Tuesday, May 15, 2012

They even carry hand grenades in Cancún

What next? A Los Zetas aircraft carrier anchored just off the hotel zone beaches?

Cancún, Quintana Roo --
A 33 year old woman was taken into custody last night after municipal police observed her acting suspiciously in a neighborhood a few miles south of the city's famed hotel zone. They stopped to question her, and conducted a quick search.

In a small clutch purse officers found a grenade, fully armed and ready for business. She was also carrying a clip of .223 mm ammunition, which is widely used in combat grade weapons.

Two boys walking with the woman, eight and ten, have been turned over to state social services. Charges are pending against the woman.

Police noted something else. She was carrying photographs of drug war execution victims, clipped from local papers. Her personal collection, like baseball cards. That can't be good.

Investigators said they think "she might be involved with a drug dealer in the area."

Note to readers: In the interest of journalistic investigation and accurate reporting, I plan to travel to Cancún and Q.R. state later this year to scope out the situation. I'm waiting on my body armor and flak jacket right now. Amazon deliveries to Yucatán take a little longer.

3 comments:

  1. I respect and enjoy your articles, but your "Note to readers" seems somewhat premature. I have travelled to Mexico many times in Q.R. and to most states in the U.S. but it has been only in the U.S. where I have been almost mugged several times and had guns pointed at me point blank. It was only my awareness of the situation that allowed me to escape unscathed. Meanwhile, the worst I have ever experienced in Mexico is a sunburn, a hangover and far too friendly people willing to help you every step of the way. Having said all this, I truly look forward to your report from Quintana Roo. All the best in your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My "note to readers" was an attempt at humor - apparently not a very successful one. I agree with your comments generally about Mexico and Q.R. state, although I must admit that it very much annoyed AND concerned me to read about the case of the New Yorkers (several of them) extorted by local police last month. See the post just below if you missed the story. It's time for that kind of nonsense to stop, especially in prime tourist territory. It won't until the Q.R. governor, who's always bragging about what a great state he runs, gets serious about official corruption.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since governors of QR have historically been on the take, it is highly doubtful that this one has any interest in getting serious about official corruption... unless it is to seriously participate more.

    ReplyDelete